10 Days! 10 Days! 10 Days!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 |

During lunch today I made my way to the local sporting goods outlet and spend a large handful of cash on some new camping gear. This was in preparation for a major trip that Dani and I will be taking to Newfoundland in ten days from now… Actually, hold on a moment; let me write that out once again as I can almost feel the briny air in my nasal cavity, I WILL BE IN NEWFOUNDLAND IN TEN DAYS… AHHH… THAT FEELS SO FUCKING GREAT TO WRITE DOWN!!!

The highlight of the trip will be our five days in Gros Morne National Park, which is located on the West Coast of the Island. It has been at least six years since I have been in that area of my homeland and I cannot express the total excitement I am feeling now in anticipation of this trip. We will be getting in some major hikes along with some backcountry camping throughout the Long Range Mountains and Gulf of St. Lawrence region. The scenery in Gros Morne is unparalleled and attracts adventure and eco tourism enthusiasts from around the world. UNESCO declared the park a World Heritage Site in 1987 due to its unique and grandeur transitions from mountain to sea. The area also provides rare examples of the process of continental drift, where deep ocean crust and the rocks of the earth’s mantle lie exposed.

Although a camera could never do justice to an area like Gros Morne, here’s a photo tour of the location where yours truly will be hiking in ten days. Can you say relaxed? And, while you are saying relaxed, can you also say John might not return to the bloody mainland this time after spending two and half weeks in Newfoundland...
















































0 comments: